Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

operation of trucks in km

Written on: 15.09.2014#1

Author:
sofiapo

Hi,

I am a new user of ecoinvent 3, trying to understand the changes and differences from ecoinvent2.

My question concerns data on operation of trucks/lorries in the EV3 datasets that I need for my model.I am performing an LCA of a truck component and I would like to find data about the use phase of the truck i.e. to use only the dataset for the operation of a truck.

So far I can only find data for transportation with truck in terms of tkm but not in km as it is used to be in ev2.

Is there any information available in the new reports?Are these among the deleted processes as well?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Sofia

Written on: 18.09.2014#2

Dear Sofia,
The information you are looking for is still available, but not at the same place.
In version 2: transportation datasets were producing a transport service quantified in ton*km. Within these datasets, there was a demand for operation of transportation, quantified in km. It was therefore implicit what the assumption for the average load factor was.
In version 3: this separation has the disadvantage to increase the number of datasets, without providing any real benefits, so the two were merged. If you go on the ecoQuery, you can see some documentation about the datasets in the general comment section. For example, in the dataset "transport, freight, lorry >32 metric ton, EURO3", GLO, the general comment includes this paragraph: "The average load factors are taken from the Tremove model v2.7b (2009) and EcoTransIT (2011) report. These are as follows: Lorry size class Average load factor GVW 3.5-7.5t 0.98t 4.98t 7.5-16t 3.29t 9.29t 16-32t 5.79t 15.79t >32t 19.20t 33.20t The lorry size and load factor determines the GVW and therefore also the fuel consumption and amount of both exhaust and non-exhaust emissions. Non-exhaust emissions are those resulting from tyre, brake and road wear. Fuel consumption and exhaust emissions are taken from v3.1 of the HBEFA model, using the data for Germany and without applying model weighting. " You will find similar comments in all transportation related datasets.
The team is currently working to produce sector specific documentation, and the information will be more easily available in the near future.

Best regards,
Guillaume Bourgault, Project Manager, ecoinvent

Written on: 18.09.2014#3

Author:
sofiapo

Dear Guillaume Bourgault,

Thank you very much for you reply. Unfortunately I do not have access to the ecoQuery at the moment to check the detailed documentation.

However, from your response, do you suggest that it is possible to separate them manually by using the loading factors for each category? Isn't it there a risk for errors and too many assumptions? I am sorry if I misinterpreted your answer.

Kind regards,

Sofia

Written on: 18.09.2014#4

Author:
sofiapo

Dear Guillaume,

we do have a licence in my university so I will contact our Sima pro providers.

I looked at the documentation for the EV2 datasets and I noticed that there are some additional parameters when coverting the operation data to transportation. But I will have a look again and also in ev3.

Thank you again for your help.

Kind regards,
Sofia

Written on: 19.09.2019#5

Author:
allen230

Now google is managing all transportation services through google my business almost all transport business are registered in the google my business, I am working in a towing company as a Blocked Driveway Removal in Queens, in new york, almost all companies are registered in google.

Written on: 10.03.2021#6

Author:
Tirma

Hi,I've been tracing back all conversations related to this topic but I'm missing one final bit of information because I don't know where in the referred documents I could find it:"porportion of empty trips assumed" 

Could you please let me know the page or table # and ideally a link to the document itself?I've found these with the references given:EcoTransIT

Tremove

But I'm not completely sure they are the right ones.

Written on: 10.03.2021#7

Author:
luciavalsasina

Dear Tirma, 

The assumptions regarding the load factor for lorries are documented in the dataset itself.

The average load assumed for the different lorry types is recorded in the general comment of the respective transport activities. The average load factors are taken from the Tremove model v2.7b (2009) and EcoTransIT (2011) report, and are calculated as total tonne*km/total vehicle*km for each vehicle size. This implicitly includes empty return trips. At the same time it does not mean that a round trip is equal to a full + a empty single trip.

Best regards, 

Lucia Valsasina, Project Manager, ecoinvent Association

Written on: 11.03.2021#8

Author:
Tirma

Hi Lucia,

Thanks for replying. I need to figure out what proportion of return trips that average load factor accounts for to see how it relates to our own data. 

Could you please point me to the exact documents and sections within those documents you mention where the calculation of these average load transport is made? I'm hoping I will be able to see that proportion of empty return trips there.

Thanks and Regards,

Tirma

Written on: 11.03.2021#9

Author:
Tirma

Is this the Tremove one?

FINAL REPORT Update and further development of transport model TREMOVE 07.0307/2008/511584/SER/C.5 European Commission Directorate-General Environment Directorate C: Climate Change & Air Unit C5: Energy & Environment 1049 Brussels Belgium 31 March 2010

As for the EcotransIT 2011 one, I don't think it's available anymore online in their website. I can find various years but not 2011

Written on: 12.03.2021#10

Author:
Tirma

Just to correct myself: the Tremove documentation I linked corresponds to a later model. I cannot find any info about 2.7b :(Would someone have saved a copy of the sources?