Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

Sewage sludge

Written on: 09.01.2019#1

Author:
yumikoba

Hi, it seems there is no process available for treatment of sewage sludge in landfill for ecoinvent 3... Is there any alternative I can use? Thank you very much in advance.

Written on: 10.01.2019#2

Author:
luciavalsasina

Dear user, 

In ecoinvent 3, sewage sludge treatment is available by anaerobic digestion and by municipal incineration (with or without fly ash extraction). 

Depending on the aim of your study, you might consider looking into treatment of other types of sludges. You can download the activity overview, undefined, an excel listing all activities and products in the selected release of ecoinvent, and filter in the "product name" column for sludge.

Best regards, 

Lucia Valsasina, data analyst, ecoinvent

Written on: 25.01.2019#3

Author:
yumikoba

Hi Lucia,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Yumi

Written on: 16.12.2019#4

Author:
Sylvie

is the use of sewage sludge as agricultural fertilizer included in Econivent 3.5? I saw on the report that it was not in Eocinvent 2, and I don't find it in the documentation.

Can you help please.

Regards

Sylvie

Written on: 17.12.2019#5

Dear Sylvie,

There is not a dataset for utilisation of sewage sludge as agricultural fertiliser. The afore mentioned "technique" is mostly illegal in a considerable majority of countries around the globe. 

Best regards,

Avraam Symeonidis,

Data analyst, ecoinvent Association

Written on: 26.10.2020#6

Author:
lecuretc

Hello, 

I am also looking for sewage sludge (from water treatment), to be landfilled. I did not find something usefull. But I found waste cement as a waste of water treatment (going to landfill). I am confused with this item "waste cement". Is it real cement ? Isn't it a kind of sludge ?

Thanks

Christelle

Written on: 27.10.2020#7

Dear Christelle,

The “waste cement, hydrated” in waste water treatment datasets is a burden added to the datasets due to the sludge being incinerated and dumped in a landfill. A more detailed explanation on this can be found in section 4.1.6 of the ecoinvent version 2 report “13-I_Waste_treatment_General_v2.1.pdf”. Version 2 reports can be downloaded after logging into Version 1+2 of ecoQuery and selecting the “Reports” section.

Best regards,

Johannes Müller, Junior Data Analyst, ecoinvent association