Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

Which process to use for paperboard (cardboard) recycling

Written on: 09.12.2019#1

Author:
sagets

Hi,

I would like to model the recycling of packaging cardboard boxes, but I have only found processes for sorting, landfill, incineration, dump, and landfill of paperboard. Is there no existing process for recycling cardboard?

Many thanks for your help

Written on: 12.12.2019#2

Dear sagets,

Is it containerboard or cartonboard you are referring to? The terminology used for different grades of packaging board varies greatly, and my understanding would be that both paperboard as well as cardboard generically refer to any type of heavy-duty paper-based packaging material. This would comprise both containerboard (=corrugated board) as well as cartonboard (SBB, SUB, WLC, FBB). My guess would be you are aiming at containerboard. The respective recycling processes are “containerboard production, linerboard, testliner” and “containerboard production, fluting medium, recycled”. In the general comment of these datasets you can also find explanations of the used terminology as well as a visual representation of the different layers of the board.

Kind regards,

Florentine Brunner,

Data Analyst, ecoinvent Association

Written on: 04.12.2020#3

Author:
seabed94

Hi, 

Is there any way that I can add the recycling process of corrugated board (containerboard) to the 'Materials and/or waste types separated from waste stream' section under 'Waste scenario process' in SimaPro?

Thank you

Written on: 07.12.2020#4

Author:
Nikolia Stoikou

Dear seabed94,

Thank you for your question. I guess that the reason you cannot find the process is because you are using an older version of the database. Until version 3.4 the process that you are looking for was called “treatment of recovered paper to fluting medium, wellenstoff”, and later in version 3.5 was renamed to “containerboard production, fluting medium, recycled”. You can read more about this in the report of changes and in the correspondence file from v 3.4 to v 3.5. So, I would suggest to try and find the process in a different name.

Best regards,

Nikolia Stoikou

Junior Data Analyst, ecoinvent