Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

How to find make up electricity grid mix from OpenLCA

Written on: 15.04.2020#1

Author:
NatashaSchoon

Hi,

We used to have Simapro at the university where I work. Here it was easy to track down the inputs from the technosphere and find out the break-down of the electricity mix of a country.

Now, we have switched to OpenLCA. Here the system is different and there are flows in between. I have no clue how I can now track down which process went into another process. So, for example, which electricity production processes went into a countries "Electricity, high voltage {FI}| market for| cut-off, U" process. How can I find that out? This is also important when I want to create a scenario for the future where I copy particular process and change the contributions of renewable vs non-renewable energy source.

Thanks in advance,

Natasha

Written on: 17.04.2020#2

Dear Natasha,

In the login section of the ecoinvent website, you can find a file which allows you to easily analyse the electricity mixes of all countries in the database. You find one file per system model under the menu point Files and there under Supporting Documents for version 3.6,  called e.g. electricity_analysis_3.6_Allocation, cut-off.xlsx for cut-off. Each file comes with a readme tab, guiding you to use it.

If you use a version older than 3.6, you can find a file called electricity_market_technologies_v3.5.xlsx, which provides less detailed features but also allows to see the high voltage electricity mix per country. The file market_composition_3.5.xlsx allows to see market compositions also of not-electricity markets.

Kind regards,

Florentine Brunner,
Data Analyst, ecoinvent Association