Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

Landfill significant impact differences

Written on: 20.10.2020#1

Author:
SCarp

Hello,

I would like some advice on some differences I have spotted in landfill processes, and how you would proceed (which processes would you use) to model the waste management of a mix of different materials. The impact results are GWP from TRACI 2.1 and the database is Ecoinvent 3.6.Below are the impact results and processes.

-The impacts for waste paperboard and scrap steel are the same which is surprising

-the impacts for paperboard and graphical paper are very different, (biogenic carbon content might be included or not ?), I'm not sure how to model my paper and cardboard waste with such different impacts.

-There is a diffrence with the generic "sanitary landfill inert wast", I was wondering what the difference was between inert landfill and sanitary landfill exactly.

Thank you very much for your advice. Below are the impact results and processes.

Regards,

Sidonie

Written on: 21.10.2020#2

Dear Sidonie,

You can refer to the original documentation of the datasets and there you will find exactly the difference between the two types of landfill you are interested in. It is report No 13: Life Cycle Inventories of Waste Treatment Services, Final report ecoinvent data v2.0, Dübendorf, CH.

The scores in inert material landfills are the same in many cases as those datasets do not have waste specific emissions but rather the burdens of relevant processes to dispose them.

Finally, please do not post again LCIA scores, it is against our EULA. I have deleted them for the time being.

Kind regards,

Avraam Symeonidis,

Data analyst, ecoinvent association

Written on: 21.10.2020#3

Author:
SCarp

Dear Avraam,

Thank you very much for your answers, I have found the information I need to proceed.

Excuse me for posting the LCIA scores, I was not aware and it won't happen again.

Regards,

Sidonie