Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

Change of inputs or outputs, change of amounts

Written on: 08.12.2020#1

Author:
knauer

Hello everyone,

in the available Code of Practice of Data v2.1 (2009) the following is documented:

The unit process raw data allow for a change of inputs or outputs of unit processes (e.g., have an input of "electricity, high voltage, at grid/kWh/DE/0" instead of "electricity, high voltage, SBB, at grid/kWh/CH/0") or for a change of the amount of an input or an output (e.g., change amount from 3 kWh to 1.8 kWh per functional unit). However, the LCI results need to be recalculated. Commercial LCA software are required for that purpose as ecoinvent only provides -the LCI data but no LCI calculation tool.

It says that unit  processes can only be changed in commercial software tools.

I use the ecoinvent database  3.6 with the open  access  software  openLCA 1.10.2, which is not commercial. Can I still change unit  processes with this software, e.g. the diesel consumption of construction machine opaeration?

If so, how do I achieve that all outputs  (e.g. particulate emissions) and  inputs  (e.g. lubricating oil) are adjusted according to the changes (as in the above example change in diesel consumption).  Do all inputs and outputs need to be adjusted manually (and if so linearly)?

Thanks in advance for any response.

King regards,

Max

Written on: 08.12.2020#2

Author:
luciavalsasina

Dear Max, 

You can modify unit processes in OpenLCA. Please refer to OpenLCA support on how this can be done in their software. 

Best regards, 

Lucia Valsasina, Project Manager, ecoinvent Association