Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

IMPACT 2002+ Normalization - Date

Written on: 05.04.2021#1

Author:
Phil Sheppard

Hello - In the most recent description of the IMPACT 2002+ method (ecoinvent report no. 3, 2010), the normalization factors for midpoint indicators and damage categories have no year stated. Can you say which year the Normalization factors are for? I would guess they are for the year 2005, which is a bit old. Are there any plans to update these factors?

Written on: 12.04.2021#2

Dear Phil, 

Unfortunately, we do not have plans to provide any normalized CFs.  We will only provide midpoint and endpoint scores, and we will leave the users the option to choose their own normalization factors.  

For IMPACT2002+, the table 12.2 in the report you cite shows what the normalization factors are, but not from what year.  However, I looked in the latest documentation available online (https://www.quantis-intl.com/pdf/IMPACT2002_UserGuide_for_vQ2.21.pdf) and table 1.2 at page 17 shows the values for different versions, side by side.  The value we published are identical to the 2.1 version.  A quick search tells me that 2.1 version was drafted in 2005.  

With the most recent report, it is possible for you to use the ratio of the two sets and calculate an updated score.  

I hope this is helpful, 

Kind regards

Guillaume Bourgault, Project Manager at Ecoinvent