Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

APOS process automatically linked in Consequential Method?

Written on: 06.05.2021#1

Author:
HHFan

Hello all,

I am using ecoinvent database 3.7.1 in openLCA 1.10.3.

I go for the consequential system model, so I made sure that every flow I inserted in the input/output table is the consequential one.

Once I created the product system (Prefer default providers; Preferred process type: System process) and calculated the LCIA for IPCC 2013 GWP 100a, I found that there are several APOS processes linked in my product system.

Is this normal? I thought that if I choose Consequential providers(process) then it should always link to marginal suppliers (which is only used in the consequential method).

Could you explain what is the possible reason for this? Perhaps this is the linking algorithm of the consequential system model in ecoinvent's database?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best

Written on: 06.05.2021#2

Author:
luciavalsasina

Dear user, 

If you are using the consequential system model as provided by ecoinvent, you will only have consequential datasets in the linking. 

I have heard of this issue before and if I remember correctly it had to do with they way you import the database into the software, please refer to the OpenLCA support for clarifications on how to do this best. 

Best regards, 

Lucia Valsasina, Project Manager, ecoinvent Association

Written on: 07.05.2021#3

Author:
HHFan

Dear Lucia Valsasina,

Thank you for your quick reply.

And yes, once I import the database into openLCA in the correct way, this unexpected link problem no longer exists.

I will come back and share more detail if I get an official answer from openLCA for others who might have the same issue as me.

Thanks again!