Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

A student asks for help.Please help me!

Written on: 26.08.2021#1

Author:
Astudent

Hi everyone,

I am a student of Landscape Arhitecture from East China University of Science and Technology. And I am new to life cycle carbon emissions,who is learning how to calculate the carbon emissions of imported goods, such as importing 1kg beef,a compressor,a transformer, a battery, an LCD TV, 1kg glass, 1kg rubber, a car engine, a car and other goods that appear on the import and export commodity list.

I would like to know how to directly get the carbon dioxide emissions of these goods.

I sincerely hope that someone can help me explain what should I do,how to get the carbon emissions produced by imported goods.

Thank you very much!!!

Best wishes,

Astudent

Written on: 27.08.2021#2

Author:
Shahinsyr

This is a quite generic question in the wrong category! But anyway here is my suggestion:

You should first map your processes. This means in your case, you should break the entire importing process to small unit processes such as transportation of the product, logistics, etc. Once you do this you should model your process, define inputs and outputs and calculate the CO2 emission. This can be done in a software, such as GaBi or OpenLCA, or manually by the mathematical formulas which i don't recommend if you are beginner in this field. In LCA softwares you can define the transportation route (distance and means of transport) alongside with many other options and the results will give you a full analysis of not only CO2 emission but all the other impact categories. Therefor your start point should be learning LCA and LCA softwares, if you don't know about them.

Good luck!

Written on: 28.08.2021#3

Author:
Astudent

Thank you very much!  !  I'm so happy, someone finally gave me guidance!  !  !  thank you very much!  !  Sorry, I was just getting in touch, and asked a wrong question.  I have read the user manual of openLCA.  I would like to ask, if I import 100 tons of beef from A to B, what data I need to get and how to model it.  Where do I learn these things, especially how to model cattle breeding and how to model cattle into beef.  Can you give me some suggestions, such as teaching website or others.