Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

Where can I learn to use openLCA to establish a process and measure the CO2 produced by agricultural, fishery, and animal husbandry products, such as beef, chicken, and fish

Written on: 28.08.2021#1

Author:
Astudent

I am a student who is just starting to learn about life cycle carbon emissions and want to use openLCA to calculate the carbon emissions produced by producing 1kg of beef. I have read the user manual of openLCA. I would like to know, if I import 100 tons of beef from A to B, what data I need to get and how to model it.  Where do I learn these things, especially how to model cattle breeding and how to model cattle into beef.  Can you give me some suggestions, such as teaching website or others.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Written on: 02.09.2021#2

Author:
noraminas

Dear user,

Thank you for your question.

Please check if the software you are using offers training. As far as I know openLCA maintains a forum where you can post this kind of questions and learn from other people’s experience.

Ecoinvent also offers ample information on how to use the database:

• If you want to learn more about how to use ecoinvent online, please take a look here
  • If you want to read more about the different system models, please read here
  • We offer several webinar recordings and tutorials. Please take a look here for further information
  • If you want to find out for which processes and products the ecoinvent database contains data, I invite you to download our activity overview file. It contains a complete list of all activities (processes) and products (column “Name”) contained in the database; you can filter them e.g. by geography, ISIC or CPC classification etc. You will for example see, that the ecoinvent database contains several datasets on beef production.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Nora Minas, Data Analyst, ecoinvent association