Forum for ecoinvent Version 3

ecoinvent Forum Archive

Learning how to use the project

Written on: 30.08.2021#1

Author:
wevers

I would like to sign up to use the database. I would like to do a demo session and understand whether I need accompanying software to use it (like Sima Pro).

Written on: 02.09.2021#2

Author:
noraminas

Dear user,

Thank you for your question. We do not offer a demo session for the ecoinvent database. However, we provide ample information on our website, to facilitate your purchase decision:

•  you can create a free guest user account here.With this account you can access all datasets in their raw form, i.e. gate-to-gate input output tables. This would for example allow you to see the direct CO2 emissions from a combustion process but does not include the cumulative upstream emissions related to fuel supply. The cumulative emissions and life cycle impacts are accessible only to licence holders. Nonetheless, the guest account allows you to get a good idea of the ecoinvent data quality, transparency, documentation and how you access the data.
  • to find out for which processes and products the ecoinvent database contains data, I invite you to download our activity overview file. It contains a complete list of all activities (processes) and products (column “Name”) contained in the database; you can filter them e.g. by geography, ISIC or CPC classification etc.
  • We also provide 2 example datasets which allow you to see what information is provided after linking, i.e. after applying one of the system models.
  • Data format: In addition to the access in the browser, licence holders can also download brief pdf. reports for each dataset as well as the input-output tables and life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) results in machine-readable spreadsheet format.
  • Alternatively to purchasing your licence directly from ecoinvent, you have the option to buy a licence through an LCA software provider in case you require to use the data within such a software tool.
  • Please find information about the licence types and our price list here.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Nora Minas, Data Analyst, ecoinvent association